Principal Residence Exemptions

If you own and occupy your home as your principal residence as of June 1 of each year, you are eligible for a Principal Resident Exemption. This should be the place where you file your income taxes, register to vote and return to when you are away. Your assessment notice will indicate whether your home is 100% homestead or some percentage thereof. Homesteads are exempt from up to 18 mils of school operating taxes. You may only claim one homestead and a signed Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit is required to be filed with the local assessing authority to be eligible for the exemption.

If you sell your home, move or cease to occupy a home as your principal residence, you must file a Request to Rescind Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption with the local assessing authority. Failure to do so may disqualify you from claiming a homestead in a new location.

Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit
Request to Rescind Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption