- Children under 12 should be with a responsible adult.
- Discuss a route the children intend to follow.
- Know the names of any other children in the group.
- Instruct the children to only travel in familiar areas that are well lit.
- Establish a return time.
- Make sure the children do not eat any candy until they return home and a parent inspects it.
- Consider a glow stick or glow bracelet on your child so you can pick them out in a crowd of kids.
- Carry a flashlight when accompanying trick-or-treaters.
- Make sure your yard is clear of any obstruction that could cause a child to fall or get injured.
- Put away your pets so they don't bite a trick-or-treater.
- Use battery powered jack o'lanterns instead of real flame candles.
- If a candle is used place it in an area away from trick-or-treaters.
RULES FOR CHILDREN
- Do not enter an apartment, house or car of a stranger for any reason.
- Walk; do not run, from house to house.
- Walk on sidewalks if available, not in the street.
- If crossing yards or lawns be careful of unseen objects or uneven ground.
- Do not eat any candy until your parents inspect it.
- Only fire-retardant material should be used for costumes.
- Costumes should be loose so warm clothes can be worn underneath.
- Costumes should not be so long that they are a tripping hazard (falls are a leading cause of unintentional injuries on Halloween).
- Use reflective tape when available.
- Masks can obstruct their vision. Use face makeup instead. If a mask must be worn make sure it has large openings for the eyes, nose and mouth.
- Do not allow children to carry sharp objects, knives and swords should be made of plastic or cardboard.
- Bags or sacks should be light in color and trimmed with reflective tape.
- Insist they don't eat anything until they get home and it is inspected.
- Wash fruit and slice it into little pieces.
- Parents should inspect the candy for signs of tampering such as open wrappers, holes, crushed or flattened items, etc.
- WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT.
- Drive well below the speed limit.
- Watch for children in dark clothing.
- Be very careful backing up, as the children may not be paying attention.