Building and Permits

Below is a list including, but not limited to, types of work that require a permit from the City of Brighton prior to work occurring:

  • New structures
  • Parking lots
  • Additions
  • Interior build out
  • Tenant occupancy
  • Decks
  • Fences
  • Pools
  • Sheds
  • Roofing of any kind
  • Demolition
  • Driveways
  • Siding
  • Windows/Doorwalls
  • Moving a structure
  • Retaining walls - when governed by building code
  • A Basement Finish
  • Signs (changes, re-face, relocation, new, etc.)
  • Temporary signs
  • Awnings
Guidance on what the City of Brighton allows for the above structures can be found in the Zoning Ordinance.

A permit from Livingston County Building Department is needed for the following:
  • Mechanical work
  • Plumbing work
  • Electrical work
For any questions related to permits, please contact the City of Brighton Building Department at 810-225-8019.

The existing codes being enforced in the City of Brighton are as follows:

  • 2015 MI Building Code
  • 2015 MI Residential Code
  • 2015 MI Mechanical Code
  • 2015 MI Plumbing Code
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2015 MI Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings
  • 2014 National Electrical Code
  • 2015 MI Energy Code
  • 2015 Fire Code
 For any questions regarding the enforced building related codes, please contact Livingston County Building Department at 517-546-3240.

There is a penalty for working without a permit and it is enforced.

  • A $200.00 fine will be assessed for residential work without a permit
  • A $400.00 fine will be assessed for commercial work without a permit
  • A $200.00 fine will be assessed for sign work without a permit

Right of Way Permit
The Department of Public Services issues permits for work in the right-of-way (Any work within the right-of-way, which disturbs the pavement, curb and gutter, driveway entrances, sidewalk, landscaping or grassed areas, requires a permit.). The Department of Public Services Building is located at 420 S. Third Street and may be reached by telephone at 810-225-8001.

Click here to download Permit Applications.