Tara Brown, CERA, CMC | City Clerk
200 N. First St.
The City Clerk, appointed by the City Manager, serves as the official record keeper of the City of Brighton. The responsibilities of the city clerk are defined by the City Charter, by the Council, by the City Manager, as well as state and federal law, and include the following:
- Acting as the clerk of the City Council, which includes keeping a permanent journal of its proceedings, posting meetings, setting agendas, preparation and follow-up for agenda packets, mailing notices, reviewing minutes and related activities
- Acting as the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) coordinator (All FOIA requests should be submitted to the Clerk's Office. View the public summary of FOIA procedures and guidelines. View the actual FOIA procedures and guidelines.)
- Administering all oaths required by law
- Administering Solicitor/Peddler, Auction, and several other licenses
- Conducting federal, state and local elections and maintaining voter registration records
- Overseeing city cemeteries: Fairview, Brighton Hills, and Old Village cemeteries.
- Publishing and posting notices of the city as required by law
- Serving as custodian of the city seal, all papers, documents and records pertaining to the city, including ordinances, resolutions and actions of the City Council