Description : Recycling Auditor/Laborer Job Description
The City of Brighton is seeking to hire eight temporary employees to assist with the implementation of a Recycling Quality Improvement Grant. This grant is intended to help drive positive behavior change that will improve the recycling for the good of the City of Brighton. These employees will be part of the Feet on the Street Program. Please click here to learn about the Recycling Improvement Grant and the Feet on the Street Program.
- This is a part-time, temporary position. The hours of work are Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6 am to approximately 12 pm from June 1 through June 30, 2021. Two days of training will also occur on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 25 and 26 from approximately 9 am to 12 pm.
- The candidates for this role will assist The City of Brighton in checking the recycling bins at the curb for all residential properties located within the City of Brighton.
- Employees will report to Patty Thomas, Assist to the DPS Director, for the City of Brighton.
- The rate of pay is $13.50 per hour.
In this position, Recycling Auditors/Laborers will inspect recycling containers at residential households to monitor contamination and residual levels and identify unacceptable or hazardous waste materials present in household recycling containers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect refuse containers at residential households to monitor contamination and residual levels.
- Identify unacceptable or hazardous waste materials present in household recycling containers.
- Track identified unacceptable or hazardous material present in residential refuse containers via identified tracking mechanism via an app and takes photos of material streams as necessary.
- Update and submit required reports daily or as assigned.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must be 18 years old by June 1, 2021
- Exertion of physical strength to open the recycling bid (approximately 20 pounds).
- Willingness to temporary download and use the tracking app on person cell phone (data plan required)
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Able to walk and/or stand for the entire duration of the shift.
- Able to extend the hands and arms in any direction.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
- Must be available to travel to assigned service locations.
- Report to/from different starting / ending locations within the City each shift.
- Valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and a safe driving record
- Able to pass criminal background and drug tests
- Possess professional demeanor and initiative, adaptability, flexibility and a willingness to learn.
- Previous usage of smartphone technology. Employee will be using a smartphone to track at the curb.
Environmental Conditions Considerations
- Odors – May encounter unpleasant smells; presences of unpleasant smells may be present in recycling carts.
- Noise – may encounter sufficient noise, either constant or intermittent, to cause marked distraction or possible injury to sense of hearing.
- Dust – may encounter airborne particles
- Hazards – May encounter conditions such as closeness to moving mechanical parts or vehicles
- Weather – may encounter inclement weather conditions such as, wind, hail, rain, fog, etc.
If interested, please fill out the attached Application and return to:
City of Brighton
Attn: Michelle Miller, Human Resources Manager
200 N. First Street
Brighton, MI 48116
or via email at email@example.com
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled