Below is a list including, but not limited to, types of work that require a permit from the City of Brighton prior to work occurring:
- New structures
- Parking lots
- Interior build out
- Tenant occupancy
- Roofing of any kind
- Moving a structure
- Retaining walls - when governed by building code
- A Basement Finish
- Signs (changes, re-face, relocation, new, etc.)
- Temporary signs
Guidance on what the City of Brighton allows for the above structures can be found in the Zoning Ordinance
A permit from Livingston County Building Department is needed for the following:
- Mechanical work
- Plumbing work
- Electrical work
For any questions related to permits, please contact the City of Brighton Community Development Department at 810-225-8019.
The existing codes being enforced in the City of Brighton are as follows:
- 2015 MI Building Code
- 2015 MI Residential Code
- 2015 MI Mechanical Code
- 2015 MI Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 MI Rehabilitation Code for Existing Buildings
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- 2015 MI Energy Code
- 2015 Fire Code
For any questions regarding the enforced building related codes, please contact Livingston County Building Department at 517-546-3240.
There is a penalty for working without a permit and it is enforced.
- A $200.00 fine will be assessed for residential work without a permit
- A $400.00 fine will be assessed for commercial work without a permit
- A $200.00 fine will be assessed for sign work without a permit
Right of Way Permit
The Department of Public Services issues permits for work in the right-of-way (Any work within the right-of-way, which disturbs the pavement, curb and gutter, driveway entrances, sidewalk, landscaping or grassed areas, requires a permit.). The Department of Public Services Building is located at 420 S. Third Street and may be reached by telephone at 810-225-8001.
Click here to download Permit Applications.